Monday, January 21, 2008

Having keywords in your domain are important for SEO.

If you go here, you will see the number 1 result links to NaplesCabines.com and the number 2 links to JwpIncorporated.com

I actually did SEO on JWP last year. At the peak of my working on JWP it was ranked in the top 10 on Google for all of the main local and national keywords. I'm talking about search terms like: cabinets, custom cabinets, kitchen cabinets, wall units, custom wall units, etc.
JWP still holds it's placement on many of the keywords (custom cabinets, custom wall units, etc) but got pushed back to the second and third pages for the very competitive terms like "cabinets" because I have not done any SEO work for a long time now.

The funny thing is that I was able to grab national terms, pretty competitive terms like "cabinets", yet I still never took #1 for "naples cabinets". Granted I never focused too hard on that search phrase but you would think I could have automatically taken #1 for that term, yet I never did.

The point is, JWP ranks #1 for all sorts of local terms. But because of the domain NaplesCabinets.com, it's very hard to bump them and take the number one spot. Sure, that's the only term they beat JWP with, and their site kinda sucks, but their domain shows that it's important when picking your domain name.

No comments: